Welcome to Tropical band

To most people the phrase "tropical bands" bring a pretty clear picture to mind - a bunch of shirtless guys playing calypso music. But to experienced shortwave DXers those two little words express the most challenging and enjoyable part of the radio hobby. The phrase kindles memories of a DXer's best catches and favorite QSLs, of exotic stations, music and of early morning listening sessions. (Don Moore)
I like the "Tropical band" name for new 60m allocation. (OK1RP)

Effective from 1st Jan 2017 please paper QSL via OM-bureau only.


Friday, August 5, 2011

4X - DXCC #20 on 60m... time to celebrate milestone?

Hello,

YES, it's done. Thanks to my good friend Dov, 4Z4DX I was able to reach DXCC #20 on 60m Tropical band yesterday evenning.

It was not as easy as it seams to be for the first time. Dov and I we spent almost 2 weeks with trials daily but no beeps on both sides.

The propagation on low bands and specialy high level of noise and QRN from the summer storms makes any QSO on 60m band hard. I built the new BPF centered on ch3 to eliminate the close-in wideband QRM and I hope it will improve my receiving performance a bit. (see the actual situation below just day after the QSO with Dov... :)


I was QRV daily from 20:30z on 5260 but no sigs from Dov. Even I did not hear the military "4XZ" beacon from 4X on 5159 with 3kW so it really sounded like condx were too bd. After week of trials I left for 1 week of vacation so I was not QRV.

Last nite we started again the trials and immediatelly for the first time we were lucky to make QSO.

Is it time to celebrate the DXCC #20 milestone now? Maybe a little but my target is 50 countries worked on 60m band. If it sounds easy to You guys please be mentioned that the only single channel FA (5260 +/-1.5kHz) is allowed for us in OK land and even I am CW only operator so all of my QSOs are done using CW on my side... So many cross channels and cross modes QSO must be done to make new country over here. Still sounds easy? ...no it is not.

Thank You Dov for Your effort and time You spent with me to make QSO on 60m band and hope to hear You soon again somewhere on CW

73 - Petr, OK1RP

No comments:

Post a Comment