Welcome to Tropical band

To most people the phrase "tropical bands" bring a pretty clear picture to mind - a bunch of shirtless guys playing calypso music. But to experienced shortwave DXers those two little words express the most challenging and enjoyable part of the radio hobby. The phrase kindles memories of a DXer's best catches and favorite QSLs, of exotic stations, music and of early morning listening sessions. (Don Moore)
I like the "Tropical band" name for new 60m allocation. (OK1RP)

Effective from 1st Jan 2017 please paper QSL via OM-bureau only.


Monday, January 24, 2011

Terrific propagation on 60m this weekend (w03)

Hello,

so I have to say unfortunatelly that after several trials during last 4 days I still did not worked Texas on Tropical band...

We arranged several skeds with Charles, K5SUL but without success. I realized that the Solar flux and Sunspot numbers were very high compare to last week so I did not expected anything special.



What was interesting this weekend on the 60m band was so directional conditions. After my calling on 5261/FA channel QSX upper channel for USA on Sat nite I got the call from Garry, K4AVC with very nice signal comes from NC. I was delighted to work him and I was a bit confident to make some another one from USA.

I spent 2 hrs on band but I did not worked anybody (few skeds failed) and even I did not received anybody on band. Also on ch5 there was no traffic.

Does anybody met this directional conditions on Tropical band also during high levels of Solar flux and Sunspot indexes?

73 - Petr, OK1RP

2 comments:

  1. Petr.
    It is the D layer adsorption and will be better when SSN and Flux are at minimums, same as with 80m. So, with less D layer ionozation, then better signals get thru D layer into F layers.. So is best to try with LOW SSN and flux..
    San K5YY

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi San,

    thank You for nice comment. Yes I did not expected anything as SSN and SFI were high. What surprised me was directional condx to K4AVC...or do You guess that it was unique shot cause of Gary's great setup?

    73 - Petr, OK1RP

    ReplyDelete